Saturday, May 12, 2007

Sheet Cheat

As none of us study for english exams, the section c part of the paper is the hardest to score. Rouse and i were sitting so close to eachother during the preboards english exam that we couldnt resist the temptation to exchange our answer sheets. Our first invigilator for the day was V V J, and so we were really cool about it. I had given him my 2nd additional sheet, which had the answers to the 8th and 9th questions. I was, then, in the 12th question, ie on the 4th additional sheet. Usha, another teacher and our second invigilator for the day, entered the room, replacing V V J, and is unfortunately tough to cheat. As soon as i saw her, i gulped hard and strong, and tapped rouse, who was busy with my paper. Usha saw me tapping rouse, and from then, never took her eyes off both of us. All of a sudden,she came up to me and asked "Do you have any "bit" papers with you? If you do, return them to me right now and i would go easy on you". I simply said "No, maam".
Both, rouse and myself were paralised with fear. I thought maybe if i wrote the answers to the 8th and 9th questions in another sheet and renumbered all my sheets, and if rouse just threw the sheet, which i had given him, away, then we could escape easily. But before i could even think of a way to tell rouse about my plan, he just threw my sheet back when usha wasnt looking. But the sheet flew only halfway between us, and fell down on the floor. Usha suddenly looked at our side, and started towards us. I pretended to be engrossed with my answers, and burried my face into my sheets. She stopped near my bench and saw the paper lying on the floor,an asked "Rohit, is that your answer sheet?", to which i nodded and retrieved my sheet. As i had got back my older sheet, i put the other sheet, which was meant to replace the older one,under my desk.
I finished the paper, and tied the sheets, and submitted them to usha. She looked at me, and said,"Check under your desk if you have missed any sheet". I went back slowly to my desk, wondering what to do, whether to lie saying that there arent any sheets and risk getting caught later, or say yes there is a sheet and answer all her questions of suspicion? It seemed like as if my hand worked on its own when it slowly pulled the paper from under the desk. I looked at her and said, with a fake smile, that there is a sheet. She smiled back, and to my surprise just said,"Tie it with the rest of your sheets". PHEW, i thought. Was THAT an escape or what? I tied the sheet with the rest, as she said, and scratched off the repeated answers from the original one, and submitted them back.

No comments: