Thursday, May 10, 2007

Bunking Shoba's Chem Pracs

Bunking classes had become a habit, and i bunked about say 2 classes a day, always with rouse with me, and sumtimes joined by sharath or rahul. This time, I was caught and shred up into pieces as the punishment was the most severe. It happened sometime in the 2nd term of my 12th standard.
It was the last double period of chemistry practicals and as kanchana was my chemistry practicals teacher, rouse and i thought that the chance of getting caught was slim. So, we headed to the canteen, and filled ourselves with food. Then, we went to the biotech lab where RV(damaal) and sayee, were present. The biotech lab has computers with internet facility which the students are allowed to make use of. As, no teachers were around, we browsed the net and watched videos on youtube.com and listened to songs.
After the bell rang, we went back to class to fetch our bags. When in class, one of my friends came to me and said that hariffa wanted to meet rouse and me. So both of us headed to the computer lab, and hariffa asked us where we had been during the last 2 periods. We said that we were in the canteen(we knew the excuse was lame but we also wanted hariffa to help us get out of this situation). She said that she had no hand in this and said that we are in big trouble as kanchana took attendance and found us missing in class, and at that point of time, venkatesh was in the lab and told her that he saw us in the canteen. Kanchana immediately informed shoba(chemistry HOD). Hariffa had met shoba in the school office when she was asking the receptionist for our pink cards(student information) to call our parents and to ask them to meet the school principal the next day. I had never fretted so much in my life, and rouse and i went to the office to plead shoba to forgive us this time. She gave us a look of disgust and went on with her work. The receptionist had already informed our parents.
We left the office and went outside, and were soon met by our dear friends. We explained to them with every detail and we ourselves could not believe such a thing has happened to us. We were thinking of ways to escape from the situation we have gotten ourselves into. Ramesh came out with a humourous one where he just has to go home and ask his parents whether they have recieved any call from Comedy Time(TV show), where the hosts had pretended to be from our school and played pranks on the students and parents. I couldnt help laughing with my friends, who also started giving us humourous ideas.
When i went back home, neither my mom nor my dad spoke to me. The whole day had been silent and i headed to bed thinking that there is nothing to worry about as my parents themselves did not want to talk about it. My dad then came into my room and asked me what i had done. I was silent for a few seconds and then replied "I didnt attend chem pracs". He then asked me what i was doing in the canteen when i was supposed to be in class. I didnt have anything to say as an excuse. I accepted my mistake and told him that this was my first and will be my last time.
Next day morning, after assembly, before dispersion, shoba pointed rouse and me to bhavani(school principal). In front of the dispersing crowd, shoba explained to bhavani wahat we had done. Bhavani simply looked at us and asked us whether we had informed our parents, to which both of us nodded.She said that she would be waiting and went away with shoba. Rouse truned to me and said "Machi, i still havent told my parents da. I dont think my
parents were home when the receptionist called yesterday. How do i tell them now?". I asked him to call his house right now as he had no other choice. Just as he was was on the phone, my dad had arrived and i had to go with him to the principal's room. When we went in, we found both MK and bhavani inside the room. Bhavani was a bit easy on me and told me how the school's record never showed anyone "bunking classes" and we were the first ones to be caught doing so. My dad, then gave his word that 'it was my first time and it would be my last time', and before even he could complete his statement, MK said "NO, NO. This is NOT his FIRST time. He had, only last week, not attended his arts class. Look at this name list" and showed to my dad the list where my name topped the other names. I could not believe MK would do such a thing. But bhavani again took it easy and excused us. I was asked to go back to class.
During recess, when i explained to rouse and the others what had happened in bhavani's room, rouse told me that the same thing went on in bhavani's room when he and his mom met bhavani. This was the last class i bunked as exams were only 2 weeks ahead, and it was high
time i started preparing for my exams.

No comments: